The Elephant in the Room - Opioid AddictionGulf Coast Healthy Living Magazine Volume 6, Issue 3 - Lakeview Center
Even in our charming, serene Gulf Coast region, neighborhoods can’t escape the effects of addiction. In particular, opioid abuse is on the rise across the nation. If we are going to save our communities from this deadly epidemic, we must look at risk factors for addiction.
The current epidemic stems from addictions to prescribed pain medications. That’s true in part, but perhaps we need to address the elephant in the room. Looking at a study shared by JAMA Internal Medicine in 2014, we learn that out of nearly 136,000 opioid overdose victims treated in emergency rooms, only 13 percent had a chronic pain condition. It would appear that the vast majority of these opioid overdose victims had other reasons for abusing the drug. That’s why it’s important to assess the risk factors for addiction if we are to reduce opioid abuse. Risk factors include childhood trauma and mental illness.
Lakeview Center provides more than 60 programs and services including medication assisted treatment (MAT) and works daily to guide clients toward a path of long-term recovery.
Children and Family Resources:
- FamiliesFirst Network partners with the Department of Children and Families (DCF) to deliver foster care and related services through collaboration with the local community. Call 850.453.7777.
- Outpatient Services at Lakeview Center uses a holistic view of care when approaching children’s issues by exploring all facets of their lives, especially any that may include a traumatic event. Call 850.469.3500.
- Residential Services at Lakeview Center uses proven protocols to address substance abuse in young people.
- The Friary specializes in medical detoxification, residential treatment, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient services. Call 850.932.9375 or visit TheFriary.org.
- The Summit Group offers a private outpatient setting specializing in the medical treatment of conditions affecting the mind, mood and behavior. Call 850.437.8952 or visit eSummitGroup.org.
- The Lakeview Center Road to Recovery is a residential substance abuse program that utilizes evidenced-based treatment approaches to help people address the many factors contributing to addiction. Call 850.469.3582 or visit eLakeviewCenter.org.
- Medication Assisted Treatment Clinics (MAT) use evidence-based practices composed of pharmacological interventions, counseling and support. Contact a location near you or visit LakeviewMethadoneClinic.org to learn more.