The Baptist Weight-Loss Center provides a team approach and brings together a range of services to support and assist people undergoing weight-loss surgery. The goal is to help patients improve both their health and their quality of life.
The Baptist Weight-Loss Center is located on the ground floor of Baptist Medical Tower III. To learn more about weight-loss surgery and our services, call 850.437.8746.
- Experienced surgeons specializing in gastric bypass procedures
- Full complement of medical specialists experienced in bariatric care
- Five-year medical follow-up
- Clinical staff especially sensitive to the needs of bariatric patients
- A bi-weekly Pre-operative Education Class that provides information about the surgery, dietary considerations and the recovery process
- Designated Bariatric Surgical Wing that features specialized equipment and instruments, including scales, beds, chairs and apparel designed with our patients in mind
- Separate Bariatric Clinic located on the ground floor of Baptist Medical Tower 3 for patient convenience and privacy.
- Registered dietician and nutritionist specializing in the needs of bariatric patients. Member of the American Dietetic Association and Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group
- Pre-surgical nutrition evaluations
- One-on-one post-operative consultation and follow-up with Registered dietician
- Monthly Bariatric Support Group with guest speakers specializing in topics of interest to weight-loss patients
Patrick Gatmaitan, M.D., Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Gatmaitan obtained his medical degree in 1999 and graduated Cum Laude. He completed his general surgery residency at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Pennsylvania and became board certified in 2007. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery at Cleveland Clinic, Ohio in 2009. His main interest is in minimally invasive metabolic surgery for the treatment of obesity and its related health problems. He is married to Celine Gisbert, M.D. and the couple are proud parents.
* Dr. Gatmaitan is an independent member of the medical staff of Baptist Hospital Inc. He is not an employee or agent of Baptist Hospital, Inc.
Ashton Wilkins, Bariatric Dietitian
Ashton is originally from Selma, AL. She came to Pensacola two years ago with her husband, and began working at the Baptist Weight-Loss Center. She graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Nutrition, and went on to Auburn University to receive a master’s in Health Promotion. Ashton has been practicing as a dietitian for four years. Helping others to improve their health and quality of life is her passion, and bariatrics provides the perfect opportunity to do that. Her interests are hiking, running and doing anything outdoors.
Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program®
- Patients seeking surgical treatment for obesity and its related conditions have a high-quality choice for receiving care at a nationally accredited program that meets the highest standards for patient safety and quality.
- Blue Distinction® Center+ Designation
- Baptist Weight-Loss Center has received a Blue Distinction® Center+ designation from Florida Blue in the area of bariatric surgery by the Blue Distinction® Centers for Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction® Centers are nationally designated health care facilities shown to deliver quality specialty care based on objective measures that were developed with input from the medical community, for patient safety and better health outcomes.
- Group Discussion
- On the second Tuesday of each month from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., a support group meets. Anyone can attend from those contemplating weight-loss surgery; those who have had weight-loss surgery and any interested family members or friends. Family members are encouraged to attend. There is no charge for this forum and reservations are not required. For more information, call us at 850.437.8746.